What is Orofacial Pain
Orofacial Pain is characterized by throbbing, sharp or burning pain in the head, neck, face, mouth, gums, or teeth; unexplained or unresolved pain after dental treatment such as endodontic procedures (root canals), extractions, or periodontal treatment. Orofacial pain also includes musculoskeletal disorders of the jaw (TMD). Common joint conditions include disc instability (jaw clicking/popping or locking), inflammation and osteoarthritis. Muscle conditions may be localized to the jaw or may include the neck and shoulder muscles. In some cases, it may be related to a global muscle pain syndrome.
Common TMD Complaints
- Face and jaw pain and associated head, neck and earache
- Pain with chewing hard or crunchy foods and wide opening (yawning)
- Restricted or limited jaw opening
- Jaw popping, catching, grinding or locking
- Tooth clenching/grinding, abnormal tooth wear and/or poor sleep
- Waking up with face and jaw ache and tightness and/or sensitive teeth
- Comprehensive Orofacial Pain Physical Examination and Diagnosis
- Imaging interpretation (Screening Panoramic, Cone Beam CT & MRI) of Jaw, Face & Head
- Neurological Evaluation & Diagnosis e.g., Atypical Odontalgia, Burning Mouth Syndrome, and Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Patient Education/Self-care Instruction
- Physical Therapy/Home Exercises
- Relaxation Strategies
- Intraoral Appliances for Sleep Bruxism, Snoring and Sleep Apnea
- Independent Medical Evaluation
Preparing for your Appointment
- Please be sure to register online before your appointment using the button to the right.
- 48 hour notice is required for appointment cancellations or a $75 fee will be charged.
- Patients arriving more than 15 minutes late may not be seen for their appointments.
Online Registration FormsPlease submit the online registration form prior to your first visit with us. The forms can be found at the link below.
The links or documents below are intended to inform you. Always check with your doctor regarding diagnosis and treatment options.
- TMJ Association
- TMJ Basics
- National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR, NIH)
- TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint and Muscle Disorders)
- TMJ Disorders
- Prevalence of TMJD and Its Signs and Symptoms
- First Evidence-Based Diagnostic Criteria Published for Temporomandibular Disorders (NIDCR) - 2/3/14
- Treatment Needs and Financial Costs Associated with TMJD
- American Academy of Orofacial Pain
- AAOP Patient Brochures